Discord Overhaul

Discord Overhaul

We have been working hard at developing a new structure for our Discord server that is more inclusive for our user groups (Givers, Makers, Partners and Contributors). Previously, it was very directed toward contributors and has served as our base of team operations.

With massive amounts of support from Claire, Giantkin, Cotabe, Ezetec and myself,

We proudly present the Giveth 2.0 test server!!!

We would especially love to get feedback from WG Stewards on your team’s respective categories!!
Please join and check it out: Giveth 2.0

We would love feedback in the following areas:

1. Should we keep our bridge channels?

Pros:
Easy communication between servers
Cons:
Open to security vulnerabilities, scams etc

Should we keep our bridge channels?

• Yes! I love them
  • No! They allow for scammers
  • Abstain

0 voters

Should the voice channels all remain in one category (as in our current server) or should we have them in their respective categories as shown in the 2.0 server (similar to the TEC)?

Pros:
Easy to find - All humans can see them and join
Cons:
All humans can join them - sections would allow for more definement

Should the voice channels all remain in one category (as in our current server) or should we have them in their respective categories as shown in the 2.0 server (similar to the TEC)?

• The voice channels should all be in one category where they are easy to find and everyone can join.
  • The voice channels should be in their respective WG sections
  • Abstain

0 voters

Do we still want 3 Developer channels?

• One for all dev, one for givethio dev, and one for tracedev?
  • or should we only have 1 developer channel?
Pros:
easier to keep track of the status of each application
Cons:
3 dev channels might be confusing

Do we still want 3 Developer channels?

• Leave the channels the way they are (3 seperate channels)
  • Let’s only have one channel for development
  • Abstain

0 voters

Once the advice process has been completed, the feedback will be considered and the changes will be implemented in our current server.

3 Likes

I don’t know much about the bridge channels but it seems that some bridges are not really used. I would like to know a bit more about the reasons they came about, who is mostly using them and why? It looks as though main use is for ad-hoc events notifications etc. Do the bridges provide enough value to keep them given the risk of scammers? Thanks

1 Like

Great job!

Bridges: I like the bridges, but I am also on almost all those servers anyway. If they create vulnerabilities, do they serve much of a purpose? How serious are the vulnerabilities?

Voice channels: On the TEC there are two groupings: one for WG channels and one for “community calls”, which has 4 channels (lounge, community, “can’t join” community [if too big, problems, etc.] and meme party).

In our case, I think it makes more sense to keep them altogether. We don’t have nearly as many folks, we don’t have a lounge and we don’t have a channel for meme parties. I think it’s also more streamlined to have the voice channels next to one another.

In Giveth 2.0, I only see one voice channel. Is that correct?

DEV channels: I’m not dev, so I don’t know how many channels they need.

Final comment: I was wondering about the name. Will it always be called Giveth 2.0? I was wondering if we might consider something more in line with its purpose and audience? I think, in particular, considering that it has more to do with projects and folks irl and such, a title that suits that might be better, such as “Giveth on the Ground” or “Giveth Community” or something. Just a thought. Or I guess, I’m realizing of course, this will be integrated with all the other channels and does not stay separate! heh heheh oops, Friday afternoon brain…

Thanks for your work! I didn’t even know this was happening!!

1 Like

Giveth 2 , is just the name of the test server. all changes would be made in the Primary server.
–I like the VC’s in each cat. easy to find the group your going on. (if your First to arrive… which channel to get in? i forget. -mitigated now with the Event calendar - tho not all Discussions are listed yet.) :wink:

We can add a Lounge/community room easy enough.

Bridges. the Vuln. from scammers is from Links posted say on TG, they would get blocked on TG (deleted/banned etc) however that is NOT replicated in our server. I would manually do that. and randomly (if repeat name) open up TG, and manually force a ban to that user. (depending on bot settings etc, might just delete msg, and not ban . and so on)

DEV channels, up to them i think. But theres diff DEV groupings… (not sure about cross over) for Backend/frontend/ etc?

2 Likes

Bridged Channels (keep the bridge)

They are awesome, we can protect the telegram side with a bot that allows only moderators to post links and stuff. Also t2bot.io allows to autodelete from one side if the bot has perms, so that might be a medium tweak to make on giveths one

Voice channels (keep the sectionized)

Just prefer then categorized

Developer Channles (one channel)

Developers are smart enough to create threads in discord, in that way we use less channels in the server, and if we are going to put dework channels in discord, is good to save some dev ones

**we can always close rooms by roles

1 Like

I gotta +1 VC per work area. I found that makes it easier to share links while at the same time on sprint w/ others for getting things done.

I also super appreciate a random wide opened community/vibe channel so I can just hang meet others. My impression w/ Giveth originally was it seemed community VC was a work in the open kinda use and I didn’t feel like could just hang and meet Interweb strangers.

Also +1 on calendar events w/ discussion channel details. This was lifesaver in the firehose experience of contributing to Bankless.

Lastly, I love bridges bc they help extend the rabbit hole experience to others who are new to the ecosystem community. :purple_heart:

1 Like