Funding grant for Commons Stack proposal

givpls

Proposal Information

Proposal description:

Funding grant for Commons Stack

Proposal Rationale

Commons Stack and Giveth are organizations that have closely aligned values and complimentary missions. The Giveth mission to “build a culture of giving that rewards and empowers those who give” is helped made possible by the research and development of concepts and products we’re creating such as Conviction Voting, Augmented Bonding Curve, Praise and Reward Systems. Our own mission is to empower purpose-led communities to deploy regenerative micro-economies, or Commons, based on many of these same tools as well as a cultural build based on Elinor Ostrom’s principles of governing commons.

We are requesting this funding from Giveth to serve as protection against the interruption of continuity of flow of work of the Commons Stack team and mission. This kind of retroactive public funding for the value that Commons Stack has produced for the web3 ecosystem will help ensure the continuation of value creation.

Our research has been and will continue to further the Giveth mission and roadmap. Especially on the cultural side (Gravity and Praise) and for discovering what really needs to be done for Gurves.

Expected duration or delivery date (if applicable):

N/A

Team Information (For Funding Proposals)

Names, usernames, and/or relevant social links for team members (Twitter, Github, Giveth Forum, etc.):

Griff, Tamara, Livia, Ivy, Kristofer, Maria, Yineisy, Usama, Paco

Skills and previous experience in related or similar work:

N/A.

Funding Information (For Funding Proposals)

Amount of GIV requested: 250,000 GIV

Ethereum address where funds shall be transferred: commonsstack.eth

More detailed description of how funds will be handled and used:

These GIV tokens will be staked in the GIVgarden for voting power and considered a safety net for the Commons Stack team and mission only to be used in case our current funding is depleted. We will sell the interest as needed using the OTC desk.

4 Likes

Sorry, I can’t understand which services Common Stack is going to provide according to this proposal.

1 Like

Thanks for posting @Tam2140 !!

I for one am stoked to explore how Giveth and Commons Stack can be more supportive of one another going forward and see this as a good first step in that discovery and relationship development.

I understand the interconnected nature of Giveth and Commons Stack, recognize the value that the CS team provides at a meta-level of Giveth being a “tool in the stack” for Commons creation, and am generally in support of this proposal.

Giveth has absolutely benefitted from the research and development within Commons Stack and I believe it to be in the best interest of Giveth specifically with the ABC, Praise/Reward System, Gravity, and Gurves to be more supportive of the Commons Stack team going forward. :people_holding_hands:

So, a safety net for Commons Stack, the tokens will be staked and not sold or spent.

Question I will have is how the governance process will work for Commons Stack staking at this volume - what protocol will be established for determining how CS will vote with their 250K governance weight?

Regarding the statement “sell the interest as needed…”. Clarification I would request is what will the transparency protocol be for when a need is suggested and approved to use the funds?

3 Likes

Hi Danibelle!

Very grateful for your warm support. And thank you for recognizing the value Commons Stack brings to Giveth as well are our larger blockchain4good ecosystem. :pray:

We are researching and building concepts and tools for public good microeconomics and we hope to continue to do so. These concepts and tools should continue to bring value to Giveth and, we hope, help Giveth achieve our complimentary goals.

The questions you’ve asked are important so allow me to share our intentions around governance:

How governance process will work…

For the moment, the CS core team will debate and decide together how to vote during our weekly team meetings. We would plan to make any voting decisions public on our weekly Sprint Review call.

This is how we are currently doing it for our partnership between Commons Stack and Regen Foundation. We announce our votes during the Sprint calls. As we structure the CSDAO this year, we will move these kinds of decisions outside of the weekly calls and on-chain.

Regarding the statement “sell the interest as needed…”. Clarification I would request is what will the transparency protocol be for when a need is suggested and approved to use the funds?

We are currently using Trace for transparency. All requests for funding derived from this interest will continue to be made on Trace although we may move to xDai. In the short term, we can envision that we would use the interest to continue to fund ongoing operations but as we online revenue tracks, we expect that the interest earned will be reinvested into GIVfarms for as long as it remains among the most attractive option. We currently have about 24K staking ETH-GIV sushi on xDAI, which is about ⅓ of our total funds.

3 Likes

This proposal is live on GIVgarden now. Gardens :pray:

1 Like

The proposal passed with 54 supporters. :pray:

On behalf of every team member of Commons Stack, we thank you! We look forward to continuing our mission of supporting Commons micro-economies and novel methods for communities to bootstrap these economies themselves.

4 Likes