Giveth Info: An analytics tool for the community

I agree we need design support. After last round of front-end hiring, we have an army of devs and not enough design to fill their bandwidth at the moment. Nevertheless, GIVpower is coming and we will have enough tasks after for them.

1 Like

I can say, I get convinced over Governance Meeting Discussions that having another priority (like user tracking) is not a blocker to proceeding on this. However, as a product expert, I can say, Let’s use Segment and customizable dashboards and include maintenance efforts in the proposed budget. (Hope these technical comments won’t be inferred from having a resistance over it.) @Griff @mendesfabio

2 Likes

Awesome proposal @mendesfabio! I’m a huge fan of your work. The dashboards you created for The GIVeconomy and for GIVbacks have been extremely valuable, and I think having a consolidated place for Giveth stats would be extremely valuable.

+1 to this: Long-term I think it would be best to have this information integrated with the rest of the application, but if it makes thing more simple, developing it as a separate platform & intergrating later makes sense… I would just emphasize this long-term goal so that the tool is built for that.

From the figma, tbh it looks like like it fits right in with our branding. Design resources are scarce at Giveth, so I would suggest that our designers like @msaeedi and @Tossynee should only be used for review purposes… and if additional design is necessary, I think it would be best if you guys added to your team @mendesfabio.

A comms comment: let’s say “donors” instead of “givers” so we keep things very clear… It’s also better for search engine optimization.

Also @mendesfabio I would love to see Giveth info include some of the data from GIVbacks (rounds, etc)… Perhaps if you take out the donor stats, you could add in some GIVbacks stats.

Overall, I fully support this idea, think it can definitely be built by your team as external development w/ integration, and I would be very happy to oversee & provide advice as needed.

4 Likes

I really appreciate all feedback :wink: We’re addressing some suggestions - soon the proposal will be updated!

@MoeNick I will include maintenance efforts in the proposal.

@karmaticacid We’re removing the Giver/Project stats in favor of GIVbacks and other metrics. I also don’t think we need designers, other than for reviewing purposes. Giveth has a well-established Design System that makes that work much easier - we don’t need to reinvent the wheel but follow the patterns. I can confirm we’re aligned on the long-term vision as well. All front-end is going to be developed using the same stack as Giveth currently uses - making it easier to integrate if the community wishes.

@Griff I fully agree with you on dev decentralization. As Giveth fosters decentralization, external developers should be encouraged to buidl features for the ecosystem.

3 Likes

So excited about this!! :smiley: Can’t wait to see the new proposal and get it going! :smiley:

1 Like

Hi all. First, I just wanted to introduce myself before I jump into this conversation. My colleague, Dawid, and I were the recipient of this grant: Proposal - Monitoring Tool to Help Identify and Mitigate Recirculating GIVbacks.

I love the idea of a dashboard, of course, being a huge proponent of transparency and openness–especially for the charitable giving space. I think it’s super important.

But…and I want to be respectful, so if it doesn’t sound like I am being, please understand that I’m trying…I think a dashboard and analytics platform run by the ‘centralized’, ‘project-team’ goes in the wrong direction, if you want to be (a) decentralized, and (b) truly open.

If I had my druthers, and of course, I don’t, I would rather see effort expended towards making that analytics platform as open as possible. So, instead of a system that is run by people inside the organization, a system that purposefully exposes itself to the outside in as broad a manner as is possible.

The idea would be something like, “Hey all you data scientists out there, come and get it.” I’d rather see 10s or 20s of outside data scientists studying Giveth than five or six developers delivering data to the community. People in the academic community could write papers. People in the security community could study Sybil and re-circulation issues. People in the charitable giving community could evaluate and recommend appropriate grants.

So, while I think the idea of a grants dashboard is good, and it does “open” the organization to more scrutiny, I’d like to see efforts to build analytics platforms that don’t rely on a small team but instead purposefully open up the data to anyone who wants it without asking.

Along those lines, I present this: https://tokenomics.io/giveth. It’s rough and quite rudimentary and it’s totally centralized now, but we’re working on a dAppNode version that would run directly against Erigon and produce exactly this type of data. It currently scrapes not only the “Giveth System” but all 1,200 of the individual grants in the system.

I’ll update the status on the proposal post soon, but I just wanted to “barge in” to this conversation and hopefully get some feedback on my admittedly unusual perspective.

Cheers.

2 Likes

Honestly I don’t believe that a system, only for being built by a project team, is against decentralization and openness. Making Giveth decentralized/open means that, in my humble opinion, anyone can hop in and start building on it. Giveth Into is community-owned and open-sourced from inception - you will never see us working behind the scenes.

4 Likes

Hey @mendesfabio, what are the next steps for this proposal?

2 Likes

GM Givers :slight_smile: We appreciate everyone who reached out asking for the next steps on Giveth.Info. I’ve just updated the proposal to include a maintenance period and revised the project’s scope. We’re going to work on a standalone analytics app that has the main features community is looking for. After delivering it, we’ll get back to you all to gather feedback and the next steps - e…g new features and Giveth integration :eyes:

2 Likes

Propoal is live on GIVgardens!

1 Like

Hey @mendesfabio are there any updates on the progress of Giveth Info?

2 Likes

Hi! I’m Luiza, one of the developers of this project.

First of all, I would like to say that I’m very excited about contributing to the Giveth community! Our goal is to deliver the best we can. Also, I would like to apologize for the radio silence, @mendesfabio was focused on the conference and we weren’t able to keep you posted.

The proposed Analytics Tool is currently hosted at https://giveth-info.vercel.app/ according to what was established here prior concerning content and deadline. Please, feel free to give us feedback! Our team is open to doing some minor changes and bug fixing.

João and I would like to share lessons learned and the challenges faced during the development.

1 - The usage of the Giveth GraphQL API to build our post-processed data API wasn’t as fluid as expected.
1.1 - We encountered some difficulties regarding documentation and how to get simple data like the project’s creation date.
1.2 - Giveth API is not optimized for fetching all the data. When we used time ranges different than 2 weeks or tried to get more than 50 projects the API would time out. We asked to add indexes to the database to improve querying speed but unfortunately didn’t notice improvements. Our team had to use strategies like doing multiple requests to get the needed information;
2 - Unfortunately, since the proposal compensation, the crypto market had a major drop, which reduced the value that we expected to receive for this project. As a result, our team had to do other projects simultaneously to compensate financially.

Next Steps:

• Work on the community feedback of the current page;
  • If the result is matching the expectations we would like to integrate it into the Giveth ecosystem and create other proposals for further analysis.
3 Likes

So amazing to see a product! This looks amazing, this data will definitely go far for donor, projects and contributors alike.

I did notice that at the moment you can only query data from all time or a specific 2 week round, it could be useful to allow users to specify more specific ranges, i.e to and from exact dates or across a select range of rounds.

The drop down menu is a bit hard to read. Each round is labelled with a # sign and then a jumble of numbers representing the start date and end date, it might be a bit more readable if you simply said Round 1 - , Round 2 - instead of using the # sign.

Other than that I’m looking forward to what your team has in store next. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is awesome!! Love being able to see monthly data by hovering over the graphs. The hyperlinks for donors and projects was a fantastic idea too.

It might be interesting to see “Projects Verified” in addition to the existing “Projects Created” display (e.g. of 1559 projects created, X are verified). In this same vein, maybe we show an icon (like a star or the giveth logo or a lightning bolt) next to the name of the project to show it’s verified. Alternativley, adding a new column with the header “Verified” then the row has a checkmark or something.

Love to see the lessons learned. Bravo to @luiza and the rest of the Dev team for this!

1 Like

Appreciate the feedback @mitch and @chadfi !

@mitch exactly, we are using a database that stores every round KPI and caches it so there is a fast response to the user. In the current way that the Giveth API is built, we couldn’t select specific ranges without timing out the request. We can think about how to optimize that on your API layer but the best idea might be working on the Giveth API. About the drop-down menu, I’ll change and then you can give feedback about it again :slight_smile:

@chadfi Nice idea! We can try to implement that too. Which analysis do you want to see with this data being displayed?

Have you reached out to @renjer ? He has the most experience, I think, building our APIs. Perhaps worth looping in @cquinterom096 as well.

@mitch and mendesfabio - I’ve worked on your feedback regarding the drop-down legibility and the social share preview. Please look at how it looks now, and feel free to reach out to us with any other issues.

Also, I want to take this chance to discuss other two topics we have in mind:

1. We’re wondering if it’s possible to get a link to Giveth Info at the Giveth website. That would greatly help us get traction from Giveth users. A suggestion is to do the same way Uniswap does, having an external link button that redirects to the Info website - see picture. If we have support from the community, our team will put together a PR for Giveth’s front-end.

1. Since the price of GIV has dropped, @Griff suggested to mendesfabio to ask for a top-up. We want to acknowledge that, even though the market had a considerable decrease, we met the deadline and held the 30k GIV until now. We had asked for 30k GIV because it was worth $5k, so we are requesting another 61450 GIV to reach the agreement. How should we proceed? Do we have to create another proposal?

That’s a great idea!

I think @Tossynee and @MoeNick might be able to push this forward.

Yes, have a look at a previous top-up proposal done by Nazar for the GIVeconomy contract audits.

1 Like

@luiza I have some questions about the data being shown on the dashboard. its not clear to me.

Is this showing the total donations made to all projects on Giveth.io? or only to verified projects?
Because I am selecting one of the GIVbacks rounds in the date range, it feels like I am only looking at donations that were eligible for the GIVbacks program but I am not sure.

The pitch deck being used by Yass and the tokenomics team has different numbers - I am aware that their numbers also include donations made on TRACE and since the beginning of time. So I am hoping to get some clarification on what data I am looking at here. Thanks!

@mendesfabio I was told to tag you here with a few suggestions I had in mind :slightly_smiling_face: Lmk your thoughts!

• this might be a small detail but how do you feel about “Giveth Impact” dashboard instead of just “giveth info”, i think it matters from a positioning standpoint

• would love to see amount of GIV rewards allocated to donors on this dashboard as well as GIVPower slot once it goes live…oh and givestream!

• dashboards work by dates and filtering but this one is missing it, so looking at it i’m not sure what timeframe the data represents, is there a way to filter by dates or make it more clearly what dates the data represents?

2 Likes