Loosening the requirements to become GIVbacks Eligible

This proposal is to loosen the requirements that projects need to have in order to become GIVbacks eligible on the Giveth platform. Allowing highly trusted, yet not strictly “public goods” to yield GIVbacks to their donors.

Context :face_with_monocle:

As part of the ongoing feature development to integrate DeVouch into the current verification process I would like to reflect on how we can simplify and improve project verification.

I have noticed the majority of users looking for support on the platform are usually coming with questions on verification - how to verify, why their application was rejected etc… this consumes a considerable amount of time for project owners and our support team.

On top of that, with our intention of Decentralizing Verification I aspire to remove certain centralized aspects of the process, namely having a small handful of individuals with the responsibility of classifying projects as public goods or not. Even though they do an amazing job at it, the definition of public good appears to be elusive, and we should sidestep having to make our team the sole arbiters of that decision.

If you have no idea what the heck a DeVouch is please check out the docs → What is DeVouch? | Giveth Docs

Or mint your Gitcoin passport on-chain on Optimism then give it a whirl for yourself → https://devouch.xyz/

Solution :bulb:

I am proposing with the coming of Decentralized Verification that we move from project Verification being a true/false statement to instead having a quantitative value such as “Verification Points”. Verification Points are earned by having a wider array of trusted members of the ecosystem (AKA “Giveth Verifiers”) “Vouch” for a given project, with each vouch earning more verification points for the project.

Projects would be heavily encouraged to submit the current Verification Form (rebranded as an “Impact Audit”) in order to receive more vouches. As projects collect more points, they gain more benefits on the platform, such as GIVpower and GIVbacks.

The main implication of this solution is that projects would not have to be verified as a public good to become GIVbacks Eligible. However, we can require a high degree of consensus among Giveth Verifiers that a project is legitimate, value-aligned and is providing benefit to the ecosystem or to the world.

In addition, we have the ability to make Vouches from certain key members to be worth more points than others. For example our Core Verification Team who currently processes verification applications could yield more points than other members who vouch. We have some options to play with in this department.

Examples

Let’s say to start we define two levels of verification:

• 1st level requires 3 verifcation points, giving access to GIVpower and Instant Boosting benefits (showing up higher on the project page)
  • 2nd level requires 20 verification points, giving access to the above benefits plus GIVbacks to their donors.

“Personal Gain”/ The Grey Area :thinking:

A new project is created to fund the legal defense of a privacy protocol developer.

3 Giveth Verifiers instantly recognize the project and vouch for it, giving the project access to GIVpower benefits.

The project still requires 17 more points to attain the final level and submits an Impact Audit to improve its chances of getting to level 2. While the project is raising funds for the personal legal defense of a well known developer it isn’t a public good per say. However after seeing in the Impact Audit that the project creator is legitimate (maybe they posted some social links to their Giveth project) a further 17 members vouch for the project, it now becomes eligible for GIVbacks.

IF a few members change their mind (such as doubting the legitimacy or values of the project) and revoke their vouches the project could fall back under the required threshold for level 2 and lose it’s GIVbacks status.

A Legit Public Good :white_check_mark:

A project is created that is cleaning up trash on a beach, nobody has heard of it yet so no reviewers vouch for it. The project submits an Impact Audit and the “Core Reviewers” review it. Ashley sees it is a legitimate public good and vouches for it. Since she is a Core Reviewer her vouch is worth 20 points (for example), instantly bringing the project to level 2. The project now has access to all the benefits on the Giveth platform.

Moving Forward :arrow_right:

The nitty gritty details of how Decentralized Verification will work, including onboarding Giveth Verifiers will come out at a later time.

In order for the feature to move forward we require some consensus as a DAO regarding this pivot in our verification requirements. Shifting from GIVbacks only attainable by publics good, to allowing also projects that have been vouched for as legitimate, aligned and value creating, but not strictly a public good.

Leaving this open for questions and comment and once minimum advice process has been met I will move this into a yes/no vote on the Giveth Snapshot! :zap:

PS. Don’t forget to stake and lock your GIV to get more voting power :wink:

4 Likes

Just curious - I know we plan to add “flags” to devouch in the future… but is there a way to play with negative points?

Like if someone knows a project is actually a scam see their score above a threshold, can they put their weight towards giving it a negative points vouch?

I know that’s kind of scope-creepy… and overall btw I think this will be a good change. Make sure you post the results of the vote in here!

1 Like

The Snapshot vote wrapped up and the results are a big YES

https://snapshot.org/#/giv.eth/proposal/0x3f7739a303e675f2b64583a4384f815044d6aa649e0e5a48deeaf20f7a25edcc

We’ll be following up in Decentralizing Project Verification regarding the next steps of the implementation of this change.

1 Like