Starting Kit for new contributors in development WG

Yeah, we became DAO and everybody want to participate, but how we can manage the contributors? How can we make it more smooth and which guideline we should have? Lets get it documented. We may have some old docs that I love to bring it to this check list, so we can invite everyone.

Suggested Starting Kit for new contributors:

1- This our board, with common used repos. Please use this Project Management and Software Development with GitHub | ZenHub (ٍevery contributor should now which repo is going to contribute in)

2- Daily meetings Mon-Thu 30 Min, pls sync with all at least 1 a week. Pls send your email to Moenick for invitation. / Weekly meeting on Mon /

3- Suggested contribution time per week and the compensation method should got communicated with the steward.

4- Amin is Steward, Moenick as DAPP PM and Lauren as GIVeconomy PM. Should sync with them for tasks and have their confirmation for the payment end of each iteration.

5- Guidelines: code review before any PR - having the issue in the board or self assigned it - Production Releases should be sync with the responsible buddie (Amin for GIVeconomy and Trace , Mateo for DAPP )

6- How to get started: Sharing Docs (?) and a Assign a Mentor (for example Mateo is going to be a Bryan’s Mentor )

Feel free to comment and change the draft it in order to make it as a Document.

5 Likes

This is awesome @MoeNick! Appreciate you getting the ball rolling. I think this is great guide for new people coming in … The next question they are likely to have in my opinion is how compensation works.

@WhyldWanderer was working on this before as per: https://github.com/Giveth/giveth-planning/issues/347

The doc was never finished and still needs some updates. Not sure if we should try to add pieces from that to what you started, or some other kind of merging.

2 Likes

Maybe we should have one for each working group? and together they will make up the ultimate Contributors Guide to the Giveth Galaxy…

Also, don’t forget that this document has already been created and exists… however, it could probably use some polishing: https://docs.giveth.io/dapps/contributors

3 Likes

talking with @MoeNick and @amin today in the daily - we’re going to be overhauling the dev documentation to make it more geared towards new contributor onboarding and filling in some knowledge gaps around the tools we use and the GIVeconomy technical system.

I would also like to hear from @cquinterom096 @mateodaza @renjer and @paxthemax for any things they see missing as well from our current documentation.

3 Likes

After a brief brainstorm I have some ideas

we should create larger groups along the sidebar that group our dapps (giveth.io, giveth TRACE, GIVeconomy) by either user documentation or developer documentation. within each group we have a subgroup for each dapp that contains the relevant documentation. we can include a general developer onboarding doc at the top of the developer documentation section. This is the current flow for reference -

I should be able to move the GIVeconomy documentation into the dapps sidebar while preserving it a distinct place in the navbar, footer AND without changing the slugs. I think this will help users more quickly find relevant documentation between giveth.io and the GIVeconomy.

this might take the form of this skeleton structure on the sidebar -

Intro to the DApps (Giveth.io, GivethTRACE, GIVeconomy

User Guides →

• Giveth.io
    • documentationzzz here
  • Giveth TRACE →
    • documentationzzz here
  • GIVeconomy →
    • documentationzzz here

Developer Documentation →

How to Contribute as a Developer

• Giveth.io
    • documentationzzz here
  • Giveth TRACE →
    • documentationzzz here
  • GIVeconomy →
    • more documentation pages

Design Onboarding?

• designer documentation

what do you guys think?

3 Likes

We could create a new label on the github repos that says “For Contributors” or something like that, and those issues can be easily picked up by them. When we grow it’s very likely that we are going to be checking PRs from forked repos and we don’t have to onboard step by step every new contributor, having a better path for them can start with a very organized repository.

Also, the other important part is the environment variables, some are private, we need to focus our documentation to make that more clear. Often the main blocker from contributors are these.

3 Likes

I have tried my best to explain getting ENV variable in each installation guide for each product but that for sure can be made more prominent in the documentation updates

We could create a new label on the github repos that says “For Contributors” or something like that, and those issues can be easily picked up by them.

Also there isn’t much in the way for labels right now on the All-Devs board - I love this idea and if there’s any others we can create and document that would be welcome.

2 Likes