Dapp WG Season 2 Proposal

We wrapped up our first season of the Dapp WG on Nov. 20. In this post I hope to convey what we spent, what we delivered and our proposal for Season 2 of the Dapp WG.

One significant change in this season is that we will be folding in the majority of the work previously carried out by the Communitas WG, our budget and deliverables will reflect this.

For reference, here is the previous, Season proposal:

https://forum.giveth.io/t/dapp-working-group-proposal/1146

S1 Review

Final S1 Core Metrics (Aug 20 - Nov 20) :star2:

Donation Volume: $70,796 / $150,000 - FAILED :x:
Verified Projects - 78 / 30 - DONE! :white_check_mark::white_check_mark:

Final S1 Deliverables Status

Deliverable Status Description
Begin work on Gnosis Safe compatibility with Giveth Dapp DONE! :white_check_mark: This work has begun and is mostly been completed - awaiting final code review & testing
Launch 1 marketing campaign (with 0 paid marketing) with the objective of raising $50k USD in one month. FAILED :x: The marketing campaign never materialized.
Launch 2 marketing campaigns with the objective of strengthening Giveth brand reputation and increasing social media followers. FAILED :x: These two marketing campaigns never materialized.
First draft of a Giveth Impact Report, detailing the impact generated by the platform as a virtual publication for donors. IN PROGRESS :construction: Impact Report for GIVbacks rounds template draft was started - Failed to go out for latest round 48. Ashley is taking over this task going forward
Major design and copy text changes to improve messaging and increase daily & monthly active users. IN PROGRESS :construction: Homepage Improvements design is 95% done. However development work will be deprioritized on this in favour of grants & partnership integrations work.
Perform a full user test of the Dapp for all features and test scenarios DONE! :white_check_mark: We implemented a new test scenario system using Notion Kanban boards. Maryjaf has been doing full testing and raising priority issues for bug fixes.
SEO Optimizations to increase organic traffic PARTIAL COMPLETION :warning: 6 SEO articles have been drafted and published on http://blog.giveth.io to increase our SEO keywords under the Giveth URL domain. Have not done analysis to see if this improved our SEO
Donation Analytics & User Research FAILED :x: We broached this topic a few times with Comms but the work never was planned. A limited amount of Donation Analytics took place in Fundraising to prepare for our RPGF application.
Project Verification & Listing DONE! :white_check_mark: Nikola & Ashley crushed project verification, taking into consideration massive application volume from QF rounds - we double our goal for this season!
User Support for Donors and Project Owners via Discord and Telegram DONE! :white_check_mark: Provided user support, reported issues to dev teams as needed.
Resolve technical debts within the platform code base FAILED :x: We started to plan issues for resolving technical debts - some issue were started but never completed. Focus switched to paid grants/partnerships
Monitor services, servers & security of the Dapp and resolve incidents DONE! :white_check_mark: devOps team provided round the clock coverage on reporting & resolving incidents
Specifications, development and delivery of paid partnerships/grants eligible integrations or features DONE! :white_check_mark: Delivered ETC integration, work in progress on Solana & SuperFluid integrations.

Spending :money_with_wings:

We calculated that in the duration of S1 the Dapp WG spent ~$115,000. The final numbers for November have not yet entered into Clockify but in the 3 months preceding we spent an average $44,200 per month on salaries. I took this average and minus 2 weeks of spending to account for the time we were out at DevConnect in mid-November.

We also spent an additional $3,143.87 in subscriptions & services fees which is reflected in the final number above.

However! We had some wins, payments went through for delivery of ETC & partial grants payment of Solana and SuperFluid Integrations for a total of $25,500 with more on the way as we complete grant agreement milestones.

Also our GM Technical Partnership brought in a further $24,227. This brings us to a net spend of ~$65,300. Our final spend is 35.5% UNDER our proposed spend of $101,351.25 ****that was quoted in our S1 proposal!

Our cost estimates this coming season will be notably higher as we incorporate Communitas WG activities into our budget.

Season 2 Deliverables & Budget

4 options are available - GROW, SUSTAIN, SHRINK and NO (WG halts or suspends activity)

Grow :arrow_up:

What we will do :white_check_mark:

Feature Development

Comms, Marketing & Community Building

• Hire a Marketing Expert
  • Create Referral program marketing campaign
  • Host Community call/Townhall events
  • Outreach campaign to onboard projects to Giveth
  • Simplified Meet the Maker interviews & content creation
  • User Support for Donors and Project Owners via Discord, Telegram and Email
  • Deliver bi-weekly impact reports - showing donations raised, GIVbacks distributed & notable project updates
  • https://github.com/Giveth/giveth-planning/issues/1599
  • Communications of Giveth updates & community events via Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn & Instagram
  • Giveth Monthly Newsletter Emails
  • Monthly X spaces (3 for the Season) to provide external Giveth updates & spotlights for industry professionals, providing engaging content for projects and/or donors.

Ops

• Monitor services, servers & security of the Dapp and resolve incidents
  • Moderation & non-user support in Discord, Telegram, and Email
  • Project verification & listing

Core Metrics :star2:

Season Total Donation Volume: $111k USD equivalent
Season Total Verified Projects: 80 new Verified Projects (Excluding Giving Block)

:heavy_dollar_sign:Breakdown Estimated S2 Cost
Comms $23,800
Community $28,750
Design $12,550
Development $50,150
devOps $21,000
Product $20,550
Services $3,400
Pending Grant Payments -$33,000
Total $127,200

Sustain :arrow_right:

Feature Development

• Hire a Marketing Expert
  • Host Community call/Townhall events
  • Simplified Meet the Maker Interviews & content creation
  • User Support for Donors and Project Owners via Discord and Telegram
  • Communications of Giveth updates & community events via Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn & Instagram
  • Outreach Campaign to onboard projects to Giveth
  • Giveth Monthly Newsletter Emails
  • Monthly X spaces (3 for the Season) to provide external Giveth updates & spotlights for industry professionals, providing engaging content for projects and/or donors.

Ops

• Moderation & non-user support in Discord & Telegram

What we won’t do :x:

Season Total Donation Volume: $70k USD equivalent
Season Total Verified Projects: 70 new Verified Projects (Excluding Giving Block)

Comms $21,800
Community $25,750
Design $12,550
Development $47,150
devOps $21,000
Product $18,550
Services $3,400
Total $117,200

Shrink

Feature Development

• User Support for Donors and Project Owners via Discord and Telegram

Ops

• Moderation & non-user support in Discord & Telegram

What we won’t do :x:

Season Total Donation Volume: $50k USD equivalent
Season Total Verified Projects: 30 new Verified Projects (Excluding Giving Block)

Comms $20,000
Community $23,750
Design $10,550
Development $41,150
devOps $21,000
Product $12,550
Services $3,400
Total $99,400

Summary

This proposal will remain open for advice process for one week and will move to Snapshot voting for final approval from the DAO.

5 Likes

I think we should consider a budget for upcoming winning grants, if we win 1 or 2 of them, it drastically affect the development costs and promised features in each scenario.

Furthermore, for growth, I don’t vote for Homepage redesign and I vote for UX Research/tracking instead.

Maybe we can suggest more real things that can boost our user engagement, I vote for an open grant, for whoever promised to bring us 10K unique registered users.
I mean in cost breakdowns we can make it clear what we mean comms or community. If all of them are salaries, I think I vote No.

Even for deliverables, I would add KPIs and Numbers more.

1 Like

This post has been up for over one week and is now available for voting on snapshot! :zap:
https://snapshot.org/#/giv.eth/proposal/0xebd6aac4c13c00305462b7dd23dc4d9e02b3014f0115a075758c69a2e2417b04

Voting ends on Dec. 26th

1 Like

I think there needs to be a repriotization of marketing initiatives. I voted “sustain” on this proposal, but not because I like all the points in “sustain”… but because I don’t think we need to allocate more of a budget and can still make improvements.

As I mentedion previously on the call we had about this proposal: imo, marketing the referral program has A LOT more potential impact than other comms initatives, like meet the makers interviews.

The majority of people we interview for the CMO role say “create a referral program” when we ask them how to get more users.

We sunk a lot of money into building the program, and never bothered to actually market it, and this is a huge missed opportunity, and we should do something about it… even if we don’t allocate more funding to the Dapp WG… we can cut things that aren’t working.

2 Likes

Very late but to inform here that the snapshot vote passed with SUSTAIN
https://snapshot.org/#/giv.eth/proposal/0xebd6aac4c13c00305462b7dd23dc4d9e02b3014f0115a075758c69a2e2417b04

Next Season proposal is due March 26!