General Magic Technical Services Partnership

Overview

GM! After having discussions with @Griff, @markop & @MoeNick, and following up on some of the austerity measures mentioned by @mitch, I’d like to propose an agreement between General Magic and Giveth, for Giveth to provide technical services to General Magic in exchange for payment.

This would allow Giveth to:

1. Open up a new revenue stream for sustainability.
  2. Take advantage of “dead” time when things are less busy at Giveth.
  3. Keep the learning curve steep for the Giveth team, by exposing them to new and interesting impact DAO projects.

This would start with developers but may expand to other departments that have contributors with Giveth work agreements.

How much would Giveth get paid?

General Magic will pay Giveth at a rate higher than the amount charged for the individual contributor while taking 20% of the fees for sourcing and managing the work.

For example, if Giveth has a contributor working on a client project, General Magic may charge the client $60/hour, then once payment is received, General Magic would pay $48/hour to the Giveth treasury and keep $12/hour for overhead. If Giveth pays the contributor $20/hour, this would net the Giveth treasure $28/hr of profit.

How would this work?

1. General Magic will propose projects to contacts within the Giveth team (heads of working groups and Giveth project managers).
  2. The Giveth team will then determine team capacity to take on projects and scope out the estimated commitment for each project.
  3. If Giveth has the capacity and agrees to take on a project, they will keep time sheet records for the number of hours worked on for each project (any support or maintenance work required outside of the initial scope will need to be re-submitted as a new project).
  4. At the end of each month, the General Magic accounting team will verify the hours worked, and send payment to the Giveth treasury.

Is there any committment?

Nope! General Magic will propose projects they need support on and the Giveth team (heads of working groups and project managers) have the freedom to reject any projects if they don’t have the capacity or don’t think they can deliver on the project.

What’s next?

1. Opening up the agreement for comments. You can view the full agreement :point_right: here
  2. Get soft consensus on the forum
  3. Move to an nrGIV vote

Voting time :ballot_box: :point_down:

• Let’s make it happen! :+1:
  • I have ideas, comments or concerns and will post below! :thinking:
  • Abstain :no_good_woman:
  • I’m against this :-1:

0 voters

5 Likes

Great idea Ahmad, thanks for thinking of it and proposing it!

1 Like

An awesome opportunity for the Giveth team (and the contacts acquired in the process will most probably help Giveth DAO as well) :rocket:

2 Likes

I also think this is a great idea. I am in full support, but I am not a developer so I would let the Devs decide. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hey @Griff @mitch @markop @freshelle I made an amendment to the General Magic Technical Services agreement (highlighted in yellow), which clarifies how Giveth contributors will work with General Magic for internal projects that General Magic requires (since the initial agreement only mentions client work).

5 Likes

Looks good to me. Anything else needed from my end?

Thanks! Nothing needed, just an FYI and for us to mention on the upcoming Governance call (for discussion).

1 Like

Thanks for this important update! My question for now is which Giveth wallet address should General Magic send the payment, and the token and chain (probably xDAI or other stable coin in Gnosis or Mainnet).

Ok, as discussed in the Governance call today, this is where payments shall go:

• giv.eth
  • DAI on Mainnet

And I will take note what’s the nature of the service (development, comms, bizdev, etc) Giveth contributors are working on to properly account revenue streams in the future.

5 Likes

GM everyone,

It has been nearly a year since we implemented this program with Giveth and so far it has been a huge success!

Over the first half of 2023 from January to July 2023, as a result of this partnership General Magic has contributed over $69K (nice) worth of revenue to Giveth, which directly helped fund operations and keep the lights on.

As we’re moving past the initial trial stage of this partnership and as we start to scale up this effort across multiple projects, we want to make this agreement more sustainable for both parties.

The changes will involve:

• Simplifying the rate that we pay Giveth to be 30% above that of an individual contributor. So for example, if Giveth pays a contributor $20/hour, General Magic will pay Giveth $26/hour (30% higher than their hourly rate). This will be standard for both internal GM projects and external client projects
  • We have added DevOps/Infrastructure, Grants Writing/Fundraising and Marketing / Content as additional services that may be offered from Giveth.
  • Removing the 20 hours/week limitation on contributors to work on external projects.

From the General Magic side, these changes will allow us to dedicate more of our hours to business development, project management and client relationships, while removing some of the pressure from the Giveth team.

I have amended these changes on the doc here (changed highlighted in yellow), and I’m opening this up for a vote.

VOTE → Are you in favor of the changes to this agreement

• Yes, in favor let’s scale up these efforts! :+1:
  • No, not in favor :-1:
  • I’d like to discuss further (leave a comment below) :point_down:

0 voters

1 Like

I think in theory this should be okay but there needs to be tight coordination with the PMs in Giveth and whoever is PMing a certain project in GM.

In general I haven’t been impressed with how GM coordinates projects and often there is no clear PM that can communicate the needs and coordinate resources with other PMs/WG leads.

So if you want to ramp up the amount of hours Giveth contributors can spend in GM there needs to be actual PMs that talk to Giveth WG leads (ideally in the PM chat/call) about developer/design needs.

On that note as well Giveth is really struggling to get design work done, it’s been hamstringing us for well over a year. What can we do to improve this situation since it looks like we’re sharing the same 3 designers across all projects?

1 Like

Hey @mitch,

For PM’s and project coordination, we’re very aware of this issue and we’re actively solving it! We hired another technical PM resource on the team this month, and we’re in the process of hiring a CTO that will also take on some of those responsibilities.

For design work, we’re also in the process of hiring more designers, and working with @markop to improve that process as well.

1 Like