As the number of inquiries for a home office allowance from our contributors grows in number, we believe it’s important to consider offering a home office allowance to support some of our tenured contributors. With the current economic downturn and the increased financial strain on our contributors, providing a home office allowance can help alleviate some of the financial burdens they are facing while also improving their overall productivity and well-being.
A previous post in the forum was posted about this but we believe it is high time to revisit and talk about this topic more now.
Previous post: Home Office Allowance
Here are some key reasons why we believe a home office allowance would be beneficial:
1. Improved productivity: Studies have shown that remote workers who have a dedicated workspace at home are more productive than those who don’t. By providing a home office allowance, we can help our contributors create a comfortable and productive workspace, which can lead to better job performance.
2. Cost savings: By offering a home office allowance, we can share some of the expenses and help them cover the costs of setting up a home office.
3. Contributor satisfaction: Offering a home office allowance can improve contributor satisfaction and morale. It shows that we value our contributors’ well-being and are willing to invest in their success. This can lead to higher retention rates and better job performance.
We propose that the home office allowance be offered to contributors who meet the following criteria:
1. Full-time Contributors
- Eligible for $1000 maximum
2. Part-time (contributing for an average of 75 hours or more per month)
- Eligible for $500 maximum
3. Contributing for less than 75 hours per month
- Not eligible for Home Office Allowance
The contributor must have been actively contributing for 1 year as of March 31, 2023.
- The contributor must not have fully received the home office allowance after the last disbursement (March 2022).
- The Home Office Allowance can be availed anytime within 2 years. The allowance will replenish every 2 years.
This means that if you have fully claimed the Home Office Allowance from last year, you will have to wait until it replenishes on March 2024.
Home Allowance Dispersal
The home office allowance can be used anytime during the 2-year period. The allowance does not need to be used all at once and can be broken up into separate reimbursements.
For example: The contributor uses $200 of their allowance and one year later requests to use the remaining of the allowance.
- The contributor is required to submit documented receipts of their home office reimbursements, with either photos or PDFs showing the item and the amount of the purchase.
- After the submission of receipts, the reimbursement will be processed together with your next monthly payment.
What items qualify?
A. We’re generally pretty open as to what qualifies, but here are some ideas.
- Computers, laptops, headphones, desks, office chair, any ergonomic item, laptop stands, second monitor, mouse/mousepad, speakers, external hard disk, backpack, cables etc…
- Any item that will contribute to a comfortable and productive workspace.
We believe that offering a home office allowance is a smart investment in our contributors and the future of Giveth. We look forward to discussing this proposal further and working together to find a solution that works for everyone.
Approve Home Office Allowance Policy?