The Givers PFP collection - Initial sketches

@karmaticacid is right. We have two options

1. PFP holder gets more credit only for boosting projects (not getting more reward on yield farming and extra balance on GIVPower): This can be implemented by tracking PFP holders with the help of subgraph, no need for any magic.
  2. PFP affects GIVPower balance on smart contract and user APR: It’s utterly harder! first, we need to define the new logic and modify GIVpower smart contract. Another blocker is that PFPs are minted on Mainnet and GIVpower contract is deployed on Gnosis-Chain! We must bridge the information and it’s quite hard if I don’t say impossible.
4 Likes

Thank you for all your comments @amin

I’d go for option one as it is the easiest to implement, plus I love the idea of being able to boost without any extra GIVPower balance. That being said, we will discuss it with the rest of the group to see if they feel comfortable with that.

Hey everyone @karmaticacid @mitch @santigs @OyeAlmond @amin @markop , in order to move forward on planning and execution with comms, devs etc we need to reach some sort of consensus on utility for NFT collection and narrative.

So I’m going to attempt to summarize the points so far, to get an initial agreement of where things are at. Then maybe we can start voting on decision points?

Here’s what I have in my notes so far:

Already agreed to: (pls correct me if I’m wrong here)?

Collection details

• NFT collection will be sold on mainnet to reach a broad audience, and to have the possibility of a secondary market.
  • A total of 1000 Units will be offered.
  • Each one will cost 100 DAI.
  • The launch plan includes a Whitelist. People included will have a chance to purchase for 80 DAI during an initial period. A 10% will be added to the secondary market transactions. -

Here’s what’s up for debate:

• $nice tokens utility - give $nice tokens to NFT holders. Still need to decide: How much?

• Swag giveaway- based on @karmaticacid’s comments, seems like giving swag to everyone is out of the question but sounds like a giveaway was an option? (personally I agree that giveaway is more controlled, less expensive and lets us add an element of surprise “value” and to build buzz)

• GIVpower boosting - based on dev feedback it’s possible, so this is an option

• Private discord channel- is a possibitliy, but we need to figure out the value (utility of it) and the management of it as well - creation, moderation, onboarding, maintenance, updates etc.

Going to add some polling below to get a “pulse” on where things are at:

• Should NFT collection include $nice tokens?
  • :+1: yes
  • :-1: no

0 voters

• Should NFT collection include SWAG giveaway?
  • yes
  • no

0 voters

• Should NFT collection include GIVpower boosting?
  • yes
  • no

0 voters

• Should NFT collection include private discord channel?
  • yes
  • no

0 voters

• Allow NFT to be purchased with $nice tokens?
  • yes
  • no

0 voters

Let me know if I missed anything, or need to make any revisions on the summary! Let’s work together to iron out the wrinkles so we can push this forward! :slight_smile:

Thank you @tropicalmango ! This is great.

Qq -
About $nice - agree ppl receiving $nice when buying is a good idea. But ppl will also be able to buy the PFPs w $nice? cc @mitch

If yes, we also need to figure out the %s.

Also, remember there was already 1 allowlist for people donating more than 100 DAI. But this was focused on $nice, not the PFP collection. So an allowlist 100% focused to the collection is still necessary.

2 Likes

@OyeAlmond yes i think purchasing NFT with $nice creates demand for the token which is always a good thing no?

Let me add that as a poll question…

and yes we would need a new allow list for this NFT collection, agreed.

Thank you for putting together the polls @tropicalmango.
I still think the development team has a lot to say in several of the questions.

$NICE is a Gnosis Chain token and we are intending to sell the collection on mainnet so I believe that will make things harder.

I also believe it is a better solution to raffle some $NICE tokens instead of giving away to everyone who purchases the PFP

4 Likes

Hey everyone sending an update on the latest ideas for the NFT project discussed together:

• Narrative idea - use recent hack as a main focus to drive support for Giveth due to recent events.

• Votes have shown most are in favour of a discord channel but the question would be, who manages it? Do we even have the resources? What would be utility?

• Want to keep focus of NFT project as having as little complications as possible (let’s start simple with our first one and then if we want, we can build from there for the next one)

Any thoughts?

2 Likes

Hey everyone! Thanks for the great soft poll list @tropicalmango!

Based on the comments here, comments in the comms call & results of the soft poll, I suggest the following…

Confirm Basics Here :point_down:

Allowlist

(let’s nix the term “whitelist” because it offends some)…

This allowlist was actually focused on the PFP collection… it wasn’t an allowlist for anything else. So what we could do is make something like “enter the allowlist via one of two means”:

• donated over $100 to Giveth, or
  • Put (:rocket: :rocket: ) in your twitter name (or some other hype building requriement)

And build the comms around that.

Other criteria

• Skip giving away $nice tokens (based on the vote above)
  • Revisit the idea of swag giveaway later (based negative feedback in the vote above)
  • Work on adding something to GIVpower boosting
  • Skip the private discord channel (because of the overheard required to maintain it & conversations in comms)
  • No purchasing of PFPs with $nice (for simplification, to have purchases only on Mainnet in DAI)

Next Steps (what I think we should do next)

• @santigs to work with @msaeedi or other designer on planning out mint page (I think this should be included in giveth.io as a new tab, personally. Also, Mo would need a clear spec on what info it should include)
  • @santigs to join GIVeconomy dev call to work with @amin & myself to determine the best way to influence GIVpower w/ the PFP collection
  • @tropicalmango to begin outlining launch video script
  • @OyeAlmond to work on allowlist specs & comms campaign requirements

Drop date

I think we should still launch this collection in December as a Christmas celebration (maybe not actually ON christmas… tbh, I don’t think we all want to work on Christmas again). There’s no way we can add this aggressively into the development timeline to get it out before GIVpower boosting… and a Dec date (before Christmas) I think is realstic if we make tracks on those next steps starting now.

Also let’s forgo the comms around “help Giveth after the hack”, it wasn’t so bad, and I think a better strategy is move forward with our mission instead of highlighting this so much.

What do you think?

• Agree, LFG!
  • No, let’s keep discussing the specs

0 voters

3 Likes

Thank you @karmaticacid or wrapping up all the comments in one clear path.

2 Likes

sorry to see $nice get :scissors: but I agree - to many technical headaches on a tight timeline

3 Likes

@karmaticacid thanks for the summary, sounds good.

hey team!
:pencil2: Some updates after today’s PFP synch call:

• @Tossynee is already working w @santigs in the minting website creation. Next Mon the team hope to have a visualization to share.

• Next week too @santigs expects to show the final designs for the team to choose the traits of the NFTs for this first drop.

• Utilities will be around GIVpower. PFP holders will have a multiplier to their GIVpower Boosting power. @mitch made a spreadsheet calculating the GIVpower distribution for holders.

• W PFP focusing mainly in GIVpower, comms should be aligned w the GIVpower narrative + Christmas and 1 year after the GIV airdrop. Comms issue is here . @tropicalmango will be creating the video scripts, and I’ll be working in the rest of the comms campaign requirements.

Did I miss smth @santigs ? Please feel free to complement :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey @santigs @OyeAlmond - I was just talking about this with @Griff and it came up that we should really make sure that people want to use this art as their Profile Pic.

I was caught up in feasibility & ultility and many other things and forgot to consider the main point… and personally, even though I am a huge Giveth supporter, it would really be a strain for me to want to set this as a my personal pic:

I find it very unrelatable. Not looking at the “camera”, weird confusing costume, just not very sexy. It doesn’t feel anything like me so it would just feel crazy for me to put it up as a PFP. And I am a huge giveth supporter…

I wonder if other people in our team feel similarly - perhaps this is just an outlier’s opinion - but if it’s a common opinion it’s pretty critical that we address the art.

1 Like

Yeah I agree. If we wouldn’t use it as a PFP, no one will.

Do we have more of the art to confirm that it looks cool?

It would be great to get a few more PFPs here so we can confirm they are something people would actually want. and then… lets get a poll like this up to confirm the art is good enough for all the development work we are going to put up.

Would you be excited to make this PFP NFT your PFP?

• Yes! THIS IS AWESOME!
  • Yeah, but only out of love for Giveth
  • Maybe for the launch.
  • No.

0 voters

1 Like

sorry I’m late to this discussion, but there are no custom PFP NFTs for each Giveth contributor, just that one @karmaticacid posted above? If we can get them customized than I am all about it, I’ve been waiting one for my twitter and discord

Guys,
The collection was created from the feedback everyone gave on the miro board long ago.
This is just one design, you cannot get a clear idea from only one design.
Here are some more so you can have a better view of the whole collection.

We have reproduced male/female characters, although we have mixed all the traits.
We have reproduced backgrounds requested as Denver, the desert, Giveth House, a farm, Barcelona, etc.
The elements coming out of the hand of the characters requested by the group. There are many combinations so we can select or discard those who may not seem so “representative”, although this is very very personal and something one may not like can be something someone else loves.

2 Likes

@karmaticacid yeah I think it’s a good point actually and good to think about it. While I personally like the artwork @santigs did, one point to consider is …does the artwork portray Giveth’s values?

To really tie the narrative together, what about “theme-ing” it around different causes with visual representations like : education, climate change, refi, sustainable farming, tech etc? We can pick the themes and make it clear with the art that you’re supporting X cause…?

For example the one with fruit coming out of his hand could be related to regen famring but then the cartoon should look more like a farmer. We can also put text like regen farming in small writing in the background? Just throwing out some ideas.

Another idea is to give it a superhero theme because it’s about championing a cause, that sort of idea. Give the little cartoons a cape or something?

I think to make it feel like part of a community, the cartoons need to look somehow related, yet they all look really different. You can’t really tell it’s part of the same group. That’s why the superhero/ cape theme would make it feel more cohesive I think.

So question to think about…

How can we portray the cause(s) behind Giveth and make sure the pfp collection ties it all together for cohesiveness?

@OyeAlmond @karmaticacid @santigs Also just a note, votes are tied on whether to include Giveth Swag or not…so if you haven’t voted please vote! And it also looks like private discord channel is on the table …votes are in favour…

I don’t think these options on the poll are really fair…

I like the designs, they have nice colours and I enjoy the backgrounds, some of the objects coming out of the hands and the little features like the caga tio. It’s a bit dramatic in the poll options to go from “OMG AMAZING” to “I would do it only for Giveth”…

Its nice to see more of the generated designs and I think for a FIRST collection they are pretty good and we should also respect that we had a full process back in JUNE to guide the final designs of the PFP.

My vote is to launch with the art as is with the basic utility of “boosting power” or rank influence or some sort of mechanic akin (@karmaticacid and I are still locked in heated debate) and raffle off some $nice tokens.

I think it will be an interesting revenue generating feature to have that can build momentum over time… like $nice.

(Fun fact we’ve minted almost 10,000 $nice tokens)

3 Likes

To be quite frank, this initiative is taking a disproporionate amount of my time - away from things like launching GIVpower - because of poor coordination. And I personally don’t like the art enough to really feel good about trying to get people excited about it.

The ultility around affecting GIVpower boosting is presenting more of challenge than I expected, and spending my time debating with @mitch about feasibility, changes to the UI, how we would test it, etc. is just not worth it. I would like to actually LAUNCH boosting first, then perhaps we can revisit this PFP collection afterwards.

Instead, the way it is, we’re pulling away design resources, comms resources & trying to pull away dev resources when there are more important things in the pipeline.

My “vote” is to hit pause on this so that we can focus our collective energy on getting GIVpower - long overdue - finally launched.

3 Likes